Travel to Guinea, West African with Moustapha Bangoura! Several weeks of high-level dance with Moustapha Bangoura, the dancers of the Ballets African or Ballet Djoliba, and artists of Ballet Bagatae - Moustapha's dance company. A journey into the heart of the Baga country... Kifinda, Moustapha's villlage, to discover the dances, ceremonies and masks bagas.
Join Moustapha in Guinea, West Africa!
Several weeks of high-level dance with Moustapha Bangoura, the dancers of the Ballets African or Ballet Djoliba, and artists of Ballet Bagatae - Moustapha's dance company. A journey into the heart of the Baga country... Kifinda, Moustapha's villlage, to discover the dances, ceremonies and masks bagas. Also Moustapha Bangoura's special 50 year celebration of African dance, with Senegals Master Drummers and Master Dancers Babacar Mbaye and Khady Badji.
Performances by many artists of his company and his school including a large doundounba to greet the arrival of participants and opening of the course.
We will be drumming for 2 hours and dancing 4 hours each day. Student drummers will play for all dance classes (five days of the week), and will be accompanied by a master artist from The Ballets Africains or Djoliba. The classes are geared toward intermediate to advanced students. We will arrange for beginner classes if needed. There will be an emphasis placed on style and technique.
SOME OF THE TRIPS
- CONAKRY: We are in the suburb of Kissosso, which is our base and the home of Le Bagatae school.
- KIFINDA: We will spend 5 days in the Bagatae region (home of Moustapha’s family) with side trips in this region to: Kolissokho, Dubreka (home of Moustapha’s mother) and Kendoumaya (region of Moustapha’s grandmother).
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- VISAS: Are required. We will assist you in acquiring your Visa. You WILL need a valid passport, 2 photos, and will have to contact the guinean embassy or consulate. For Europe, Visas are available in Brussels and Paris.
- VACCINATIONS: Yellow fever is REQUIRED. You must obtain this 2 weeks before departure. Weather: Guinea temperatures range in the 90’s during December, January and February. Bring light clothing… cotton is best.
- LODGING: Dormitory style with western showers and toilets in Kissosso. In Kifinda, Dubreka, Kendoumaya, Kolissokho, lodging is in traditional pavilions and round huts. It’s best to have your own tent.
- MEALS: The meals are prepared by N’Gady Bangoura and family members. There are three meals per day. Vegetarians and special diets can be accommodated.
- SPECIAL EVENTS: There are special events and parties during the month. During the evening, there is singing and culture time.
- FREE TIME: Go to the market, Yankady, Doudoumba (dancing), or relax!
Price includes Room and Board, Dance and Drum classes. Airport pickup. Trip to Rom (a fun island). Trips to Kifinda, Bagatae village available. Air Transportation not included - you will need to purchase your own roundtrip ticket to Guinea.
- A/ 1 WEEK $ 600.00
- B/ 2 WEEKS $ 1,200.00
- C/ 3 WEEKS $ 1,600.00
- D/ 4 WEEKS $ 2,000.00
Price includes Room and Board, Dance and Drum classes. Air Transportation not included.Airport pickup.Trip to Kifinda, Kolissokhö, Boffa and Dubreka. You will need also to purchase your own ticket roundtrip to Guinea.
- Downpayment: $500.00 due at the time of registration.
- Final payment: due November 15, 2018. Checks or money orders payable to: Moustapha BANGOURA. US Funds only.
- Cancellation policy: there is a $350.00 fee for cancellations made one month prior to trips. If a cancellation is made within or less than 4 weeks of trip, 75% of your full payment will be refunded.
- Moustapah Bangoura - 773.456.4170
- Angela Sadio Watson - 215.402.7182, Philadelphia, PA- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delia Tyler - 708.339.2356, Chicago, IL
Contact Moustapha to register: email@example.com or 773.456.4170